Sunday, July 3, 2011

Where we lose the patriotism

I have never had a gathering in my adult life where we haven't talked about the society and the corruption. And every where the people say the same thing - we all live in the idealistic world till we are in school and then we meet the real life and became practical. Some restricts themselves in giving bribe to others (even though if it is to get back what belongs to them), some joins the group who receives the bribe (maybe to survive) and some struggle to still be idealistic and save themselves from both vices (though very very few percentage, I created this category only because I personally know some people who belong to this group)

And whenever I think about this "practical" people, I always wonder where the feeling is lost that kept us idealistic in young age. It was not that there was absolutely no corruption when we were young. We were hit by Bofors scam in 1989, Harshad Mehta scam in 1992, Fodder scam and Sukhram scandal in 1996, Hawala in 1997 etc. All of them when we were in school. But still when we left the school premises preparing for college we all were still idealistic. We still believed in "goodness" in people and that we all can survive without getting ourselves corrupted. 10 years later, I have bribed thrice.

Where do we lose the patriotic sense in these 10 years? The answer stuck me yesterday when I was ruffling through my cupboard trying to find a clean, ironed shirt. "My patriotism" was stuck to the collar of my blazer. It was with me for most of the winter and early part of cool summer when I felt connected to "India" as nation rather than individuals. It was the national-flag badge that I have pinned to my blazer. And it was answer to my queries.

In school, the first thing we said before learning "twinkle twinkle" was "vande maantaram" and "Jan gan Mann". Before we learnt "every action has equal and opposite reaction - even in real life" we took the pledge "India is my country and all Indians are my brothers and sisters". Even before we were told what is the correct way of "handshaking" we were told to "salute the national flag correctly". And that was the reason for all nationalist feelings.

As soon as we left the school, how many times anyone of my colleagues, seniors and juniors have revisited the same thing? 26th January and 15th August the most (if we are not sleeping off thinking it’s a holiday). Our mind is like the iron axe. Sharpen it regularly otherwise it will rust and of no use. If we don't remind our mind we are proud to be Indians and India must be proud to have us, our mind will forget that and slowly so will our heart.

So what shall we do now? Why can't we start what we learnt at school? Remind everyone what a great nation this is. Every college, every office (private or public sector) should always start only and only after saluting our national flag. National Flag should be placed at every house and every office to remind there is a nation getting affected behind every action we take. I know what I will be told here - all the government buildings have the national flag and Mahatma Gandhi portrait and beneath that there are politicians making the corrupt decisions. This is because there sense of responsibility has lost. It should be mandatory that every politician/ minister should repeat the Oath they take when they are made the elected/minister. This may not sound a big plan to fight corruption. Of course it is not. It is a small step. Every big change needs to start with small step.

And don't forget - people are not inherently bad but they need to be reminded of their good part constantly to avoid the easy temptations of life.

1 comment: